Friday, May 4, 2012

GOP Is Stuck In The Past

I suppose the title of this post is very vague; the GOP is stuck in the past on so many issues.

Today, I'm talking specifically about their opinion on homosexuals. Mitt Romney recently appointed Richard Grenell as a national security and foreign policy adviser for his campaign. Unfortunately, Mr. Grenell is openly gay. As one might guess, that did not sit too well with social conservatives. Because apparently, even having a gay man as an adviser is an affront to all that is right with humanity.

Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association tweeted "Romney picks out & loud gay as a spokesman. If personnel is policy, his message to the pro-family community: drop dead."

I cringe every time I hear that pro-family nonsense. Since when are gay people "anti-family"? How does the fact that gay people exist tear families apart? The only thing I can think of is that these families spend far too much time concerning themselves with what homosexuals are doing, and don't put any effort into their own family life. I'd have to say that's something they need to learn to deal with themselves. Sounds like some deep-seated issues there.

Mr. Grenell voluntarily removed himself from the Romney campaign, stating that he was becoming too much of a distraction. However, I think we all know the real reason, and I can't blame him: who wants to be criticized for just existing? My political leanings notwithstanding, I'm sure Mr. Grenell is a perfectly competent adviser. The fact that he was driven out of his position by people like Bryan Fischer and the AFA, in 2012, is sickening. These people should all be ashamed of themselves, and I am embarrassed for America that we still condone such behavior.

Maybe some good can come out of this... maybe Mr. Grenell will be able to see the GOP for what they really are and come over to the light side.

2 comments:

  1. It seems many in the mass right wing middle class (or what's left of it), think that Gays are coming for their children. When really, it's the GOP the Koch bros and corporate greed (abetted by whoring senators) that is coming for their kids, their way of life, their wallets and any shred of humanity they have left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, let me thank you for reading and commenting, Ken.

      Second, I agree. Many on the right seem to think the mere existence of gays will corrupt their children. I find it astounding that, in the year 2012, people still think homosexuality is a choice. But the right needs social issues like this to distract from how their policies aim to turn the US into a plutocracy, leaving all but the very rich to fend for themselves with no opportunities available.

      Delete